Tuesday, 26 May 2009

green goddess

She and I are on a health kick. It came to me this weekend (possibly over cheese and saucission from the French market, or maybe while we were eating rhubarb upside down cake with creme fraiche, or was it while we were making pizza yesterday ...) that an unintended consequence of my love affair with food has been the arrival of love handles. Of course, it doesn't have to be this way. I firmly believe is possible to enjoy food, wine and the good life and look good naked. This week is about rebalancing that.

So, the green goddess ... spirulina. Spirulina is a kind of blue green algae which seemingly exists for two reasons - to photosynthesise, and to be packed full of things which are ridiculously good for you. It contains an incredible variety of vitamins, minerals and nutrients with everything from vitamin B to magnesium ... protein, antioxidants and essential fatty acids.

She and I are tucking in for the energising, cleansing, and immune system boosting qualities, and I'll be whizzing up the following juice for us every day.

300ml pressed apple juice
2 big handfuls berries / soft fruits - I use a frozen mix
2 tsp spirulina powder

The result is an alarming very dark green juice, which looks like it would be absolutely vile. It isn't. It's actually alright, I'd even go so far as to say I'd recommend it.

So apart from the blinding headache from caffeine withdrawal, and the small fortune in Whole Foods yesterday it's not too bad. I'll keep you in the loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment