Friday, 22 May 2009

double rhubarb solution

I've had some folorn looking rhubarb in the fridge this week, waiting for someone to take pity on it. There was a bit more than I thought so I ended up with a double rhubarb solution.
Firstly, I'd been having rhubarb upside-down cake thoughts, as my mother and Lulu are coming up for lunch tomorrow ...

Rhubarb upside-down cake

50g butter
200g soft brown sugar
350g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2cm pieces
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
200ml buttermilk - I used a mixture of sour cream and natural yoghurt as that's what I had around, either will work alone instead of buttermilk if you can't find it
2 medium eggs
80ml vegetable oil
2 tbsp finely chopped crystallised ginger
Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4

Melt the butter in a heavy based saucepan over a medium heat. Stir in half the sugar, and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat
Arrange the rhubarb in the bottom of a 24cm springform cake tin, and pour over the melted sugar and butter the rhubarb

Combine the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt

Whisk the remaining sugar with the buttermilk, eggs, oil and ginger. Add the flour mixture and mix well. Pour over the rhubarb and smooth the surface

Bake for 35 minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed in the centre

Cool on a rack for 10 minutes then invert on to a serving plate

As you can see, it's not a thing of great beauty, but I have high hopes in the taste department.


With the rest of the rhubarb, and half an eye on the pork I was cooking for supper (with the other half on the cheese at the French market tomorrow morning) I decided to make a little quick chutney.

Rhubarb chutney

250g rhubarb, chopped into smallish pieces
1 small onion, finely chopped
50ml cider vinegar
1cm fresh ginger, grated
100g soft brown sugar
good pinch salt

Very easy this ... everything but the rhubarb in a thick bottomed pan, bring to a rolling boil for five minutes

Add the rhubarb, take it down a little, and simmer for 20 minutes

This can either got straight into a sterilised glass jar - about 250ml, or into a pot to cool a bit to eat straight away.

Despite an insatiable desire to cut myself a slice, the cake will have to wait for tomorrow's guests. I can however vouch for the chutney, which I am still wiping off my plate with a finger.

2 comments:

  1. Like the look of the rhubarb chutney - i've a batch from the garden to pick tomorrow so this looks like what i'll try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @goodshoeday - it's great, sweet but good. I'd been burnt by a bad batch of lime chutney a while ago, but fully have my confidence back now ...

    ReplyDelete