Sunday, 3 May 2009

at times, life is too short

I'm sure I'm doing it wrong. I have been making ice cream this evening. All evening. The infusing of the milk, the cooling, the making the custard, more cooling ... I am now on the freezing and hourly stirring (I am paranoid about ice crystals) ... at 1.30am I will confess to being tempted to throw the damn bowl out of the window.

We each have our own threshold where some things in the kitchen (or indeed in life in general) cease to offer a sufficient return on investment. There are also a few things which you will only make once or twice, just to be sure you can. I suspect ice cream will shortly come into this latter category. The one thing I really do think is worth it is pastry, no doubt with the warmer weather I'll be getting into quiches and tarts imminently, and will of course let you know how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment