Tuesday, 7 April 2009

tomfoolery

I've never attempted rhubarb fool before ... I'm not even sure I knew what it was until I decided to make one. I have since discovered that it is customarily made with stewed rhubarb and brown sugar mixed with either custard or double cream. Precocious as I am I decided to use half fat crème fraîche instead, insubordination sanctioned by a tip from my mother. I also added some ginger, which combines with rhubarb particularly well, orange zest would have been another fine partner.

The below makes buckets, enough for ten normal people as a sweetener after dinner ... or seven normal people and Freddie, who practically licked the bowl on Sunday.


Rhubarb fool

6 stout stems of rhubarb
3 tbsp demerara sugar
small handful crystallized ginger, finely chopped
75ml water
1 1/2 pints crème fraîche


Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C

Chop the rhubarb roughly - I only halved it - sprinkle with the brown sugar and ginger and bake in the oven for40 minutes, or until the rhubarb is soft.
Leave to cool, separating the rhubarb from any remaining syrup.

One the rhubarb is cool, blitz it with a hand blender. You can sweeten it a little more here if you'd like, but it should still be on the tart side.

With the crème fraîche in a large bowl, swirl in the rhubarb puree. Try not to mix it up too well, I think it looks prettier sort of raspberry ripple-like.

Just before you serve it, take the leftover syrup and reduce in a little saucepan right down until it really is a dark red syrup. You can then cool it a little, and drizzle artfully over the fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment