Tuesday, 21 April 2009

late night lamb antics

It's like this ... I accidentally bought a leg of lamb this evening. I'd intended to buy chops or steaks for ≤ten tomorrow night, but I'm a sucker for a good deal as we all know and I couldn't just leave it there. Getting on the train on the way home it dawned upon me that I didn't have a hope of getting it cooked for a reasonable hour of the night.

Cut to me 45 minutes later in the kitchen, leg of lamb in one hand, knife in the other, phone tucked between the ear and the shoulder and laptop balanced on the hob (which was off). Reader, I butterflied it. On the other end of the phone was my father, who I'd hoped would have some special insight being a butcher's son ... on the laptop was the following video clip - http://www.showmehowtodothis.com/meat/cooking-how-to-butterfly-a-leg-1.html . If I'm honest neither shed a great amount of light on the task.

Butterfly-ing the lamb enables you to cook it quicker, you can even stick it on the bbq. The idea is you cut the bone out, and spread the meat out flat into what ends up as a kind of butterfly shape, slashing into the thick sides and turning the flaps out. I referred briefly to Nigella to see if she had any pearls for me, I can now reveal that at the time of writing How to Eat, Nigella Lawson had never attempted to butterfly a leg of lamb. My attempt was fair - neither a disaster nor a thing of great of beauty.



It's currently sitting in a marinade in the fridge made with about 200ml extra virgin olive oil, five cloves of garlic bashed, 2 handfuls of fresh rosemary finely chopped and the zest of a lemon.

I will report back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment