Saturday, 28 March 2009

wet puppets

Three days later I'm still smiling from dinner on Wednesday night. Again, the house was full and the food was plentiful - if not superbly assembled. Loretta and Mr L, the Bolt-Palmers, Sal, Dr Dan, Em joined She and me for chilli-miso salmon with stir fry vegetables and noodles.

I'm not sure the stir fry was anything to write home about, but it's worth mentioning the salmon. I had ten fillets, skin on, which I marinated for an hour or so before grilling.

Chilli-miso marinade

3tbsp miso paste
4 green chillis finely chopped
2tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce

This will make vast quantities. The miso paste is pretty pungent so don't overdo it. You want the fillets under a hot grill to sort of crisp up the top of them a bit.

The stir fry contained, amongst other things grated ginger. I only have two experiences of ginger - it's either absent from the fridge at the crucial moment or if I do have it, it's wrinkled and suspect looking. I'm sure there are people who are so wonderfully organised that they reach ginger nirvana and have just the right amount when they need it, but not I. IB gave me a marvellous tip for this which I will duly share.

Freeze it. Silly isn't it, but I wouldn't have thought of it. Just buy a big root, peel it - or not as you will - and freeze it. You can then grate it straight in. Bree Van de Kamp eat your heart out.

While I'm here, I may as well mention a few of the other things I freeze ...

All fresh herbs, and lemongrass, and chillis, which you can just chop frozen and use. Ailing strawberries for smoothies later. Stock of course, spare mash, chopped onion, and finally red cabbage. I make this according to a Nigella recipe and it freezes beautifully. If you're interested in pulling off the domestic goddess look having a stock of it standing by to match with salmon, lamb or sausage and mash for surprise visitors is a real boon.

Back to dinner. Luckily the quality of the company exceeded that of my cooking. My over-riding memory of the evening is She performing a kamikaze retelling of being splashed with water during a sex scene in a puppet show. You had to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment