Tuesday, 24 March 2009

credit where credit's due

The notion that we should all have our fifteen minutes of fame is not without merit, but when something is truly good you can't help but think that a little special treatment is deserved. I'm embarrassed to say that when She first cooked me the following dish I was more than skeptical. In the six (is it six?) intervening years it's become my absolute favourite.

Grandpa Luckham's Anchovy Pasta

As with everything, the quantities here are fluid. I'll just tell you how much I used on Saturday night for She, Jingles and me. Also, a quick comment on the anchovies - cooking them like this makes them a million miles away from the salty sting on top of a pizza, not a hint of fishy-ness I promise.

medium sized head of broccoli
five cloves garlic finely chopped
250g wholemeal pasta
tbsp olive oil
extra virgin olive oil
tin anchovies

Cut the head of broccoli into florets, then thinly slice each on lengthways - so you have little flat looking tree shapes - does that make sense?

Very gently fry the garlic in the olive oil, meanwhile chop the anchovies finely before adding to the pan, you just want to cook this slowly for a bit to get rid of any bitterness in the garlic.

I tend to stick the kettle on for the pasta, and get that going on the other hob in the meantime.

Anyway, once the pasta is on, add the broccoli to the anchovies and garlic and coat well.

When your pasta is done, drain it, and return to the pan. Pour in the broccoli etc - making sure you get everything in there, add a glug of extra virgin olive oil and stir it all together.

I've said wholemeal pasta. We actually ate this with an accidently discovered thing called pulse pasta, which is basically pasta made with things like chickpea flour and red lentil flour, as well as wholemeal durum wheat. If I'm honest, it's all a bit jesus sandals for me, but the packet looked so similar to the regular pasta in Asda that it sneaked in the basket. As for the taste - it tastes the same.

But back to anchovy pasta, my favourite pasta dish. It's the only one I cook with any regularity ... and I have the Luckham's to thank for it. My only other tip is that if you are making it, you should definitely serve it to your nearest as well so you can share in the garlicky wonderfulness together. Vampires be damned.

No comments:

Post a Comment